23 April 2009

Bob

Yesterday as the kids sat down for breakfast I noticed a pale form in the fish tank and thought to myself, "Bob sure looks kind of pale today." It was a thought I almost said out loud but in the same instant I realized that Bob was floating! Yikes! It is the moment we dreaded when the fish arrived just a month ago.

We successfully distracted the Boy long enough to finish breakfast and then he wanted to feed the fish. In a very matter-of-fact way (the only way he knows) JP told him that Bob was dead. He took it really well but had a very sad tone in his voice as he asked questions like how did he die and where are we going to put him. I almost broke down myself when he stuck out his little palm and said, "can I hold him?"

And thus ended the story of Bob who was with us such a short time . . . but now he has constant concern about Chip . . . .

No comments: