10 June 2009

Cartouche

Do you know what a "cartouche" is? Well, my 5-year-old does . . . .

The Scene: Dinner table . . . Pickle is waving the Tupperware top around and being silly with it.

Me: "What are you doing?"

Little Guy: "Yeah, are you making a cartouche with birds and your name?" (Of course this came out in a jumble that did not make much sense to us.)

JP and I look at each other . . . thinking what the heck?

Me: "Did you just say kartoosh?

JP: "Son, a cartouche is a round paper object."

He looks to me for support
and I shrug . . . I've never heard of a kartoosh (in my mind it is spelled this way, of course).

Me: "Get the dictionary."

JP looking in the dictionary: "He's right."

The 3rd entry in Websters says: an oval or oblong figure (as on ancient Egyptian monuments) enclosing a sovereign's name.

Of course with further discussion we learn that these figures can be adorned with birds, bugs, etc. He has been fascinated with mummies for the last month since they have discussed Egypt in school. It truly amazes us everyday what information he retains!

And now I know what a cartouche is!

No comments: