31 March 2010

Bubba's Birthday

Yesterday was The Boy's 6th birthday. It was an interesting day that left me so exhausted by night time that I was not interested in getting on the computer to blog or share pictures. I really don't know where to begin my reflection on the last 6 years as it has gone by so quickly and he has developed into this amazing person.

Let me start by telling you about his day . . . . It started around our usual time of 6:00 when I heard him in his room reading (not out loud but I could hear the pages turning). Once everyone was up we opened presents in our room and then got ready to go out to breakfast. He has been requesting breakfast at Denny's for a few weeks now so we figured this was a good day to do it. Well, we picked the wrong Denny's. The service was awful but the food was good and we left with full bellies. Pickle had swim school at 9:30 so we went home to gather our stuff and head out again. Bubba spent the 1/2 hour playing in the play area and sitting in the "castle" listening to princess stories with a bunch of girls. Luckily I am confident he was way more interested in the book than the girls . . . .

We ran over to Target and then JP had to go to the Dentist . . . pretty mundane stuff for a kid's birthday. The Boy and I spent most of Pickle's nap playing Monopoly. It was fun and I have given him fair warning that when he is 7 I will no longer tell him when I land on one of his properties. Maybe I'll extend that to when he is 8 since the game is recommended for 8 year olds and above, but we'll see if he learns to pay attention.

When Pickle got up I took them to the library as most of the day JP spent painting in Flora's room so I needed to get them out of there for a bit to leave Daddy alone. Now all of this brings us to dinner . . . which was chaotic to say the least. You see, The Boy requested crab for his birthday and not lump crab meat or imitation crab but crab. I know it was all about having the actual crab in front of him to study since he started talking about this 3 months ago when they bought whole lobster for my birthday. Unfortunately we live in a land locked state and getting crab (for a reasonable price) is not easy. So we settled for Raclette which is a thing JP's family did when he was growing up and we have adapted it to our growing family. It is a Scandinavian tradition of cooking your own food on the table. Bubba loves it so it was a good consolation for not having crab.

After phone calls from all his grandparents and his cousins and some brownie and ice cream, we finally got them both in bed. Now looking back on it the day doesn't seem so busy but being 35 weeks pregnant, I am much more relaxed sitting at work today!

I will get some pictures up tonight or tomorrow from his birthday party and the few we took yesterday and I will also tell you a bit more about him and his shining abilities.

No comments: