24 November 2010

Cooking Rituals

In the last 36 hours I have made Spinach Madeline, Cornbread Dressing, Cupcakes, Chicken Stock Chicken-Black Bean Soup, Chicken Enchiladas, Pureed Green Beans, and a Bourbon Pumpkin Tart.  And finally we have put the turkey in the brine.  I have been cooking non-stop . . . a lot of cooking to freeze as well as prep work for Thursday.

I love Thanksgiving! I love the preparation and planning and I love the rituals of it.  Friends make fun of me because they think I like to control the day and yes I guess I do, but it is because I like the traditions and I like having the same dishes I ate growing up.  I also like the challenge of trying to do it better every year - the prep, the food, the table.

For me this Thanksgiving is nearly over - all that's left is to roast the turkey and make the gravy . . . for me, most of my rituals are complete.

No comments: