27 May 2013

Two Flags

Two Flags . . . one for my grandfather and one for Josh's. Two Flags . . . one for a firefighter and one for a police officer . . . both killed on the job here in Phoenix this month.

Admittedly I forget what this holiday is all about . . . I am one of the majority that looks at Memorial Day as a day off from work, a chance to hang out with my family, and a time to have ribs because the grocery stores put them on sale. However, I was reminded this week by Pickle that we do have important people in our lives who served proudly in the military. 

At school they were given a lesson on Memorial Day and Pickle brought that lesson home to us with many questions about the military service of our grandfathers. Josh and I are very proud that two of our grandfathers served in the Navy during World War II. Josh lost his grandfather several years ago and mine passed away last year just after Memorial Day. Both lived long productive lives and we are blessed by having had them for so long in our families.

Sadly there were two lives lost in one day here in Phoenix this month. Two very young individuals - a firefighter and a policeman - lost their lives while on the job. The firefighter was only 23 and was married to his high school sweetheart. The police office had served two tours of duty and had a young daughter graduating from kindergarten. With our own kindergarten graduate in our midst, this was especially heartbreaking for me. 

This Memorial Day I am remember all of these men. 

No comments: