05 July 2008

Mema

I hope everyone had a fabulous 4th of July. Ours was low key as we stuck around the house, had some fabulous burgers, and played Wii Winter Sports. I also made some cute individual apple and cherry pies that turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.

The 4th of July was always one of my favorite holidays growing up as we celebrated with big parties . . . fish fries or barbecues with lots of family. Family came from far and wide to celebrate the nation's birthday and Mema's. Today is Mema's Birthday or would have been . . . .

Mema is my grandmother and I spent a lot of time with her growing up. When we still lived in New Orleans my brother and I would spend our summers with Mema and Docdaddy getting to roam the woods and land exploring and being free. When we moved to Alexandria I got to see her even more often and she took me on trips to Florida and Texas to see my cousins. Mema taught me to play all kinds of card games and manners, and she loved us and trusted us and I feel truly blessed to have been able to spend as much time with her as I did. I have so many memories of Mema and not one of them bad.

Mema passed away 3 years ago and I still miss her. I think of her often and wish she were still with us. I would have loved for her to be able to spend time with my children. I was lucky enough to have many years with my great-grandmother (Mema's mom, Gaga) and I would have loved my my daughter to have had that time and learning opportunity with her great-grandmother.

Happy Birthday Mema! I miss you!

No comments: