05 December 2008

It's Real Life . . . Friday



It's another "Real Life Thursday" challenge that I am getting posted on Friday because, well, it's real life and life is busy with 2 sick kids, work, and holiday shopping. This week's theme is Store It: Kitchen which I am excited about because of our recent upgrades to our storage options!

First up is plastic storage. It is a typical mess especially because I have a one-year-old who has taken "ownership" of the cabinet. I really like how we keep all the tops in one place so we only have one place to dig. You either find the container you want and then search for the top, or you identify the top and then go searching for the container. It looks a little bit empty in the picture but the dishwasher is full!
This next picture is of "big" stuff that we occasionally use . . . the crock pot, waffle maker, griddle, etc. This is part of our NEW pantry! Our toaster and blender are in a cabinet under the microwave and the mixer is on the counter. Another area of the NEW pantry is holding serving platters, bowls, and other miscellaneous items that we use for parties. I am very excited about these shelves since I used to keep all this stuff piled on top of each other in various other spots in the house (see cookbook area and auxiliary closet below). It is now so much easier to find and safely remove an item.Here are some of our spices . . . we also have some in the cabinet but I didn't take a picture of them. Here is the top of the refrigerator. I hate having things on top of the refrigerator and when we redo the kitchen I plan to have cabinets over the fridge so it doesn't continue to be a collection site. Right now it primarily holds tupperware that is a hassle for Pickle to take apart, bread, and leftover pie.Another item on the list is recycling and compost - we have some under the sink and then another bigger receptacle in the pantry area. The compost bucket is small (and disgusting) and it gets taken out to the mulch pile daily. I can't believe I am sharing this picture . . . it is AWFUL.Another area that I like is the shelves and cabinets in the Breakfast Room that JP built soon after we moved into this house. It had been an awful closet with a folding door and it has now turned into this! Right now I have taken down the usual plates and bowls that live there and replaced them with Christmas items. This is also where we keep cookbooks as well as in the cabinets below.Unfortunately my camera battery died before I could upload the pictures of 1) cleaning supplies and 2) "good" dishes. Right now my cleaning supplies are in part of the NEW pantry and the "good" dishes are kept safely in their storage bags (thanks Mom) in the "Auxilliary Closet." That's a huge mess right now so I'm kind of glad the battery died . . . .

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Thanks for sharing, I thought this week's photos was a whole lot of fun to do.