11 November 2009

Riding to school

In the past I rode the boy to school towing the trailer behind my bike. This was tons of fun for everyone involved. As it happens, the boy has grown enough that he cannot fit in the trailer comfortably with his sister. He misses taking this trip to school and asks to ride in the trailer frequently. Although Christi and I want to accommodate his simple request it is easier said than done but we did not want to let him down. I spent yesterday afternoon on the phone with his teacher to make sure that we could house his bike at school and brainstorming how to drop him off in the back of the school so he wouldn't have to ride on a very busy street.


We worked it out and today was the first day he got to ride his bike to school. So we loaded up the trailer with some items for Pickles entertainment and off we went. I had to remind him a number of times where to ride and how to behave when coming to unmarked intersections and when passing other people but he did a fantastic job! I am very proud of him as it turned out to be 3.2 miles and that is a fair distance when you are less than 3 feet tall and on a bike with 20 inch wheels. There was not a single complaint, issue, or problem so I am hopeful that we can do it a little more often in the future.

No comments: