28 January 2009

DTV

Is watching TV really an inalienable right? So what if the format is changing. If those that still use rabbit ears didn't hear about it, then postponing the transition won't help. The impending change has been broadcast for years now. I am shocked that the Consumer's Union asked to push back the transition and I am further dismayed that Congress considered it. I am at an even greater loss for words concerning why it is discussed to the extent that it is. Perhaps there is something that I am missing here. If you think you know what it is then clue me in. If not, get cable because everyone else has.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I think it has to do with the fact it costs money to change (upgrade tv or get converter box) which is hard on the working poor and plain old poor. Plus, with the financial crisis, now is not the time to have some of our population completely out of touch (losing their access to news etc). I don't profess to know much, but I think that is part of it. here's an article:http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/archives/digital-television-could-there-be-a-delay-in-the-february-17-dtv-transition-deadline.html
And here's the letter requesting the delay and why: http://www.consumersunion.org/pdf/DTV-Waxman-Markey-Ltr.pdf

Kris said...

Umm ... maybe the working poor can buy a newspaper to get their news. And if they are poor, they shouldn't be spending money on any kind of tv - pay the rent or buy groceries.