22 May 2009

10 Years Ago Today

What were you doing 10 years ago today? I was getting married. Check out last year's blog post for more information on my loving husband and how much I love him . . . hasn't changed!

What I remember most about that day and night is not what you would see on my wedding video which by the way is titled Josh and Kristi's Wedding. Who the hell is Kristi?

It was that I woke up in my room with my friends quietly sleeping and went upstairs to find my dad reading the paper. I very much remember how much I enjoyed that little bit of time we had together when I was still just his daughter . . . not a wife or a mother yet. It is and will always be one of my fondest memories.

The day was lazy as we had a late wedding scheduled (7:30 . . . had to be on the 1/2 hour and 6:30 was just too early to catch the sunset). All the girls were invited over to our neighbor's house for brunch and then we cleaned up and headed to the salon to get our hair done. I don't think anyone really liked what Shannon did to their hair as I noticed several Bridesmaids with changed 'dos later that night. I hated my hair but what do you do with short hair? I, of course, started crying because that's what I do on special occasions. KB saw it in my eyes before the tears started . . . what's wrong she asked . . . "It looks like it does EVERY DAY," I wailed!

For some reason I ended up with my Mom and she drove me down to my Grandmother's house. This was odd because since I got my driver's license at 15 I don't think my mother drove me anywhere. I always drive . . . but with a veil attached to my head I couldn't really effectively see from left to right or move my head off the seat for that matter. I remember stopping at Burger King because we were hungry. How funny is that memory?

I remember the cake arriving and I remember putting on my makeup and I remember how pretty my Mom looked. I remember my Mom and Grandmother helping me put my dress on and I remember taking a bazillion pictures. I remember when the valets showed up and I freaked out because I thought it was JP and his friends and he was going to see me before the wedding started.

I remember getting help to go to the bathroom in my dress and I remember that we were watching "My Best Friend's Wedding" on TV while we waited. It was such a blur of activity and all I could do was sit and wait.

I remember the ceremony and how hot it was and after that . . . I don't remember much. It was a whirlwind of saying hello and hugs and kisses and things to do and pictures, pictures, pictures! One of my favorite moments was eating crab claws with my brother and throwing the claws in the garden . . . forgive us Mema! It was a great night and lots of fun and I wish I could do it all over again.

It's funny how much work and effort goes into a wedding but no one ever gives thought to being married. I had thought about my wedding for YEARS and never once gave thought to what being married would look like. Well, after 10 years I think it looks pretty good. It is better than I imagined because you get to hang out with your best friend all the time and it is so great to have someone in whom you completely trust and to wom you can tell anything. I love being married.

No comments: