03 February 2009

The Patient is Home!

JP's surgery was a success and the doctor even said he had some of the healthiest tissue she had ever seen . . . he's a healthy guy! (If you haven't been following along . . . he had a hernia repaired today.)

The facility (Scottsdale Healthcare) was really great and they had the whole system down pat. It was staffed by many volunteers and it was the volunteer's job to keep track of visitors. They had my cell number and kept track of when I went to the cafeteria and even wrote down what I was wearing so they could call me by name. I was also impressed with how precise the timing was . . . they told him when to check in and what time his surgery would start and what time the doctor would talk to me and then what time they would get me for instructions and to take him home.

He was amazingly lucid when I saw him post-surgery. All he wanted to talk about was food (and coffee)! The anesthesiologist suggested clear foods only and to ease back into his normal eating habits but he tired of saltines and Jello right about the time dinner was ready. I am confident he will recover quickly and will probably want to ride his bike this weekend. The tough part is keeping Pickle from climbing on him because she sees his lap as an open invitation and Dada never sits around this much!

There is so much waste in the health care industry so we decided to bring home some items that would have been otherwise thrown away. The surgeon initialed the side of JP's abdomen that would require cutting with a sterile pen that she opened right there then she planned to THROW IT AWAY! We asked if we could bring it home. JP also got these lovely socks as a souvenir!

No comments: